Temporary In-Transit Plates in New York State

The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles provides its consumers "In-Transit" or Temporary Plates for transporting vehicles within the state, or out of the state, to its ultimate destination where it will be registered. The DMV provides these plates so that if you live outside of New York State and buy a motor vehicle here, you can safely transport it to  your home state to have it registered without the hassle of having to go there first. It also provides these plates in the event that you dont want to register your car at the moment, but need to transport it to a mechanics garage, or another location for storage. 


In order to obtain an "In-Transit" plate, you must meet ALL of the following requirements:


1.-Have a title that has been endorsed over to you


2.-Have a state identification card or drivers license 

3.-Have valid insurance policy. If you are an out-of-state resident, then you will need to bring an insurance binder. If you are a New York State resident, then you only need to bring an insurance card. 


If you meet all of these requirements then you can obtain an "In-Transit" permit. In addition to these requirements, you will also need the MV82-ITP form for applying for the permit.

Get your transit tag by clicking here!


87-18 Jamaica Ave

Woodhaven, NY 11421


  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Yelp
  • Twitter